There is nothing better during the holidays than a friend, a cup of coffee and a piece of this Cranberry Banana Coffee Cake
Sit down, sip a cup of coffee, and grab yourself a slice of this incredible Cranberry Banana Coffee Cake. Perfect to enjoy around the holidays because it makes great use of any leftover cranberry sauce. This cake has great contrast between the zingy cranberries and the sweetness of the bananas. That coffee cake crumble makes this recipe a winner!
You Will Need
This recipe calls for all of the baking basics.
This recipe is great to make around the holidays or even with holiday leftovers.
How to make
I love this cake because it is so simple to make. In one bowl mix the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, salt, ground and allspice.
In your mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Then mix in the eggs and vanilla. Once it is all incorporated add in the banana. Mix all of the wet ingredients together and next mix in the flour mixture. Stir until your batter comes together.
Place the batter into your prepared 13x9 baking dish. Spread it out evenly and then top with dollops of cranberry sauce.
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, chopped pecans, and flour. Stir in the butter. Sprinkle over the top of the cranberry sauce for your crumble topping.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Slice into squares and serve warm.
To make this cake gluten free simply replace the flour with your favorite gluten free flour mix. I have had great success with the King Arthur Gluten Free Flour. You will also want to add 1 tsp of Xanthan Gum.
Take a moment to double check your other ingredients to make sure they are free of gluten. Some hidden sources can be your vanilla extract and baking powder.
You can also make this cake dairy free by using a dairy free margarine in place of the butter.
Take it a step further and go totally vegan by using your favorite egg replacer.
Store this cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. This coffee cake can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Cranberry Banana Coffee Cake
- ½ cup butter softened; or dairy free margarine
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¾ cup banana mashed
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 inches baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, salt, ground and allspice.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Then, add the bananas and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cream mixture and beat just until combined.
- Spread evenly into the prepared baking pan and top with dollops of cranberry sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, chopped pecans, and flour. Stir in the butter. Sprinkle over the top of the cranberry sauce.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Slice into squares and serve warm.
- Use a gluten free flour mix and add 1 tsp of xanthan gum
- use dairy free margarine in place of the butter.