Just like classic Stuffed Peppers, this stuffed pepper soup is full of flavor, and perfect to warm you up on a cool day.
During soup season this Stuffed Pepper Soup is a must make! I love making stuffed peppers for dinner, but sometimes I need something a little easier. This soup has all of the flavors of the classic dish in a hearty warm soup. With just about 10 minutes of prep time you are on your way to enjoying a delicious bowl for dinner.
For this recipe you need a large pot or dutch oven. I love to make it in a dutch oven.
- ground beef
- bell pepper
- cooked rice (great for leftovers)
- tomato sauce
- canned diced tomatoes
- beef broth
- italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- brown sugar
How to make
I love this simple soup! You can make it even faster by pre-browning your ground beef and placing it in freezer bags until you are ready to cook.
Heat oil in dutch oven or large pot and add ground beef, salt and pepper and cooked until almost done. Add diced onion and peppers and cook until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 45-60 minutes or until heated through and flavors have had a chance to blend well.
Stir in cooked rice and serve immediately.
Top this soup with cheese if desired. It is amazing with some warm crusty bread like this Homemade French Bread.
This recipe is gluten free when you use a gluten free beef broth. Just double check your ingredients to ensure that they are all gluten free.
Store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Note: The soup may become thicker when it is stored because the rice will absorb some of the liquid.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- dutch oven
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup onion diced – yellow or white
- 1 green bell pepper cleaned and chopped ** see notes
- 1 red bell pepper cleaned and chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned, undrained
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups cooked rice white or brown
- Heat oil in dutch oven or large pot
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper and cooked until almost done
- Add diced onion and cook until soft
- Add peppers and cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 5-8 minutes
- Add brown sugar, Italian seasoning and garlic, continue stirring and cook 1 minute
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beef broth, stir until well combined
- Bring mixture to a boil
- Reduce to simmer and cover
- Cook for 45-60 minutes or until heated through and flavors have had a chance to blend well
- Stir in cooked rice and serve immediately ** see notes