Use the versatility of a cast iron skillet to make this incredible Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake Recipe. Can be made gluten free too!
In my kitchen if you open the cabinet where I keep my pots and pans you might be shocked to find mostly cast iron. In a world where there is constant advertisement of the newest, biggest, and best when it comes to everything, Cast Iron is still king in the kitchen. This cookware is relatively affordable, crazy durable, works on an induction stove, and can be transferred to the oven, grill, and more without issue. This Cinnamon Roll Skillet cake recipe is just another example of cast irons versatility and its ability to make great things.
Where to Buy a Cast Iron Skillet
Seriously, if you don’t own a cast iron skillet, why not?! They are heavy duty and absolutely the best! You can find cast iron cookware at most major retailers, or you could order from the comfort of your own home right off of Amazon.They have a large assortment of Cast Iron Skillets. (I am an amazon affiliate).
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake
This recipe really couldn’t be easier! Just prepare the batter according to the recipe and pour it into your greased skillet.
Swirl in the cinnamon sugar topping with a butter knife or the handle of a wooden spoon works great too! Bake it for about 30 minutes at 350 Degrees.
When it is done drizzle the top with icing and enjoy! It’s just that simple!
Gluten Free Skillet Cake
This recipe turns out amazing as a gluten free cake. Just substitute Gluten Free Flour Mix and prepare as directed.
You can also make it dairy free by using your favorite dairy free milk and butter substitute.
Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or gluten free substitute)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk (or dairy free alternative)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted (or dairy free substitute))
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Vanilla Icing Drizzle:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9” cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Stir well to incorporate. Pour cake batter into prepared skillet. Use the handle of a mixing spoon to poke holes throughout the cake.
- In a small bowl, add cinnamon sugar topping ingredients and stir to combine. Spoon the topping onto the cake - being sure to fill the holes. Take a butter knife and swirl the cinnamon sugar topping into the cake batter. Bake in preheated oven for 27-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cake to cool for 10 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, combine the vanilla icing drizzle ingredients in a small bowl. Use a spoon to drizzle over the top of the cake. Slice and serve warm.
- Use Gluten Free Flour Substitute
- Use a dairy free butter substitute and dairy free milk.
More Skillet Recipes
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.