Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake Recipe
Use the versatility of a cast iron skillet to make this incredible Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake Recipe. Can be made gluten free too!
In my kitchen if you open the cabinet where I keep my pots and pans you might be shocked to find mostly cast iron. In a world where there is constant advertisement of the newest, biggest, and best when it comes to everything, Cast Iron is still king in the kitchen. This cookware is relatively affordable, crazy durable, works on an induction stove, and can be transferred to the oven, grill, and more without issue. This Cinnamon Roll Skillet cake recipe is just another example of cast irons versatility and its ability to make great things.
Where to Buy a Cast Iron Skillet
Seriously, if you don’t own a cast iron skillet, why not?! They are heavy duty and absolutely the best! You can find cast iron cookware at most major retailers, or you could order from the comfort of your own home right off of Amazon.They have a large assortment of Cast Iron Skillets. (I am an amazon affiliate).
This cake couldn’t be simpler. You will have many of these items in your pantry! You will need.
- flour (or gluten-free substitute)
- baking powder
- milk (or dairy-free substitute)
- butter (vegan butter sticks work great)
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar
- powdered sugar
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake
This recipe really couldn’t be easier! Just prepare the batter according to the recipe and pour it into your greased skillet.
Swirl in the cinnamon sugar topping with a butter knife or the handle of a wooden spoon works great too! Bake it for about 30 minutes at 350 Degrees.
When it is done drizzle the top of the cake with icing and enjoy! It’s just that simple!
This recipe turns out amazing as a gluten free cake. Just substitute Gluten Free Flour Mix and prepare as directed.
You can also make it dairy free by using your favorite dairy free milk and butter substitute.
Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour or gluten free substitute
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk or dairy free alternative
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted (or dairy free substitute)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Vanilla Icing Drizzle:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9” cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Stir well to incorporate. Pour cake batter into prepared skillet. Use the handle of a mixing spoon to poke holes throughout the cake.
- In a small bowl, add cinnamon sugar topping ingredients and stir to combine. Spoon the topping onto the cake – being sure to fill the holes. Take a butter knife and swirl the cinnamon sugar topping into the cake batter. Bake in preheated oven for 27-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cake to cool for 10 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, combine the vanilla icing drizzle ingredients in a small bowl. Use a spoon to drizzle over the top of the cake. Slice and serve warm.
- Use Gluten Free Flour Substitute
- Use a dairy free butter substitute and dairy free milk.
I made this for my husband and I last weekend, and we devoured it so quickly. It’s beyond delicious and so easy to make! I can’t wait to make it again soon!
YAY! Glad it was a hit! Thanks for coming back and commenting! 🙂
Can I use a 12 in cast iron? Thanks!
Yes you can. It may just turn out a little bit thinner, which could mean a lower cooking time. Start checking it after about 20 – 22 minutes.
Do you think I could use an egg substitute?
Yes. Since this recipe calls for just one egg an egg substitute should work just fine. I just haven’t had a chance to try it yet personally. Let us know how it turns out.
What a unexpected delicious cake this is!!! And so easy. 🙂🙂🙂
What can I use besides a cast iron skillet?
Hi Edna, you can always make this in a round cake pan if you don’t have a cast iron skillet. Keep an eye on it as it finishes up. It may not need as much baking time.
Made this and to my surprise it came out so good ! Only thing keep the icing recipe down to 1 tsp of milk or it comes out too runny otherwise it’s a great little recipe & these are handy ingredients u keep in the house regularly
Hey can I use baking soda instead of baking powder?
No you need to use baking powder. They are two different things.
I. Can’t. Stop. Eating. It!!!!
Such an easy recipe that was a hit with the family!
Just made this. It smells awesome! Didn’t cut right away, because I was going to do it as dessert. Hope it’s still good that way.
Just made this and it’s so very good! My husband loved it, too! I will be making this again. Thank you for the recipe
Sooo good. I doubled it and cooked it longer. Was amazing