Homemade Cornbread Mix – With Printable Labels
Stock up your pantry or make for gifts, either way this Homemade Cornbread Mix Recipe is one of the best! Plus free printable labels too!
Sundays at my house are known for a few things. We do PJ’s, we do movies, and we do comfort food. Sometimes we grill, sometimes something is brewing in the crockpot, but no matter what it is, we enjoy it as a family. Today’s something was a cast iron skillet with some fresh cornbread thanks to this Homemade Cornbread Mix.
This is super simple to make! It is just whisking together the dry ingredients in bulk and filling your jars. My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE to measure and put together mixes like this for me to help in the kitchen! It is a super project for them to get busy in the kitchen.
Assembling Cornbread Mix Jars
Once it is mixed I put it in Quart Sized wide mouth jars or into quart sized Ziploc bags. Either way, it keeps perfectly. The jars are amazing to give as gifts with a cast iron skillet and a cute dish towel. Who wouldn’t love that?!
The Labels on these jars are available for you to print for free below. I just printed them right on some adhesive label paper. The directions to make the cornbread are right on them and oh so cute!
I fit enough mix for 2 batches of cornbread in each quart jar. Since this recipe makes enough for 4 batches of cornbread you will get enough mix for 2 jars out of this recipe. Feel free to double or even triple it because everyone will want to take a jar home!
Homemade Cornbread Mix
For Cornbread Mix
- 4 cups Cornmeal
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients and store in an air tight container until ready to use.
To Make Cornbread
- 2 Cups Homemade Cornbread Mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted or oil
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- You can bake in a well-greased muffin tin or 8 inch round baking pan for 20 minutes.
- For best results preheat a large cast iron skillet in the oven with 1 tbsp of butter or bacon grease in the bottom. Once hot pour in the cornbread mix and bake for 20 minutes. ENJOY!
- Use a gluten free corn meal and gluten free flour mix in place of the flour.
- Substitute oil or melted margarine for the butter and 1 cup of the dairy free milk of your choice for the buttermilk.
A few cornbread tips!
- This can be made gluten free and dairy free! See the printable recipe for details. It’s very easy!
- You can bake this as muffins, in a cake pan, or in cast iron! I love cast iron. I highly reccomend it!
- You can add mix ins like fresh corn, diced peppers, even cheese and bacon! YUM!
Homemade Cornbread Mix Printable Labels
Click the button below to download the homemade cornbread labels Printable
My family and I love cornbread…I was wondering if this can be made without the honey and can u use whole milk instead of buttermilk? I don’t always have buttermilk on hand and my daughter doesn’t like honey
Yes, you can use whole milk, and you can omit the honey and replace it with about 1 tbsp of sugar for sweetness if you would like.
I LOVE your site. It is super helpful since I’m gluten free; but I love everything about your bio. You are such a blessing. Thank you.