Double Chocolate Biscotti Recipe
Looking for something sweet for with a cup of coffee? Try this incredible Double Chocolate Biscotti Recipe. Perfect for gifts too!
During the holidays I love to make homemade gifts for friends and family. There is nothing more thoughtful than sharing some homemade baked goods that you took time to make for those that you love. If you have a coffee or tea lover in your life, they are going to love these homemade Double Chocolate Biscotti.
How to Make Double Chocolate Biscotti
I think biscotti tends to scare people. It is actually super easy to make! The dough comes together very simply just like a basic cookie dough. You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Totally up to you.
Ingredients for Double Chocolate Biscotti
- All Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
Once you have made your dough you are going to shape it into two equal sized logs. You want them to be about 3/4 of an inch tall and 2 inches wide. Just transfer them right onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake them for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
When they come out of the oven, they are going to smell WONDERFUL, but you need to let them cool for a few minutes.
You are going to slice each log diagonally into 3/4 inch to 1 inch wide sections. Turn them on their side on the baking sheet and return them to the oven for 1o minutes to crisp up.
You will be left with about 2 dozen of the most beautiful double chocolate biscotti you have EVER seen!
Biscotti Making Tips
A couple biscotti making tips that will make your life easier.
- Shape your biscotti logs right on the parchment lined baking sheet and you can skip trying to transfer them.
- Also, cut your biscotti after the first bake right on the baking sheet. Makes everything simpler.
- Have patience and let them cool! I know it is hard, but it is necessary for a great bake.
Dairy Free Biscotti
You can make this recipe dairy free with just a couple ingredient substitutions. Use a dairy free butter substitute instead of butter. You can even substitute and equal amount of vegetable oil.
The other change is using a Dairy Free Chocolate Chip. Enjoy Life makes a great semi sweet chocolate chip.
These Double Chocolate Biscotti need to be kept in an airtight container. They are super cute in a little glass jar (you can find them at Dollar Tree).
You can even wrap them up individually in plastic treat bags and tie them up with a piece of ribbon to put into a gift basket.
These will last a week or two on the counter, or store them in the freezer for a longer period of time if needed.
Double Chocolate Biscotti
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl and mixing well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir on low speed until just combined.
- Using your hands, split the dough in half and shape it into two logs about 3/4 inch high and 2 inches wide. Place them on the prepared baking sheet allowing them enough space to spread while they bake.
- Bake them for 30 -35 minutes until the logs are firm to the touch.
- Let them cool on the pan for about 5 minutes. Then, using a sharp knife slice the logs diagonally into 3/4 to 1 inch slices. (a little crumbling is ok)
- Turn them on their sides, so that the cut sides are down.
- Return them to the oven for 10 minutes. This will crisp up the biscotti.
- Remove them from the oven and cool. Store in an airtight container until ready to enjoy with a cup of tea, cocoa or coffee.