It’s a good day when you smell muffins baking for breakfast! This Homemade Muffin Mix is my go-to when I make any kind of muffin! I love it because this mix isn’t overly sweetened and I can make savory muffins just as easily as I can make sweet ones.
In a large mixing bowl, I mix the flour, sugar, shortening, baking powder, and salt. I use my hand mixer to make sure the shortening is really broken up and distributed evenly.
Once it is all mixed I put it into my big muffin mix jar. Now, there are 2 ways to do this, and neither of them are wrong.
You can put 2 1/2 cups of mix into individual quart-sized bags and label them. That is enough mix for 1 batch so they will be ready to grab and go.
The other way is to place the mix in a large jar with a label and scoop it out as needed. That is what I do. these Large Glass Jars from Amazon are perfect, but I have also seen them at Walmart.
To mix up the muffins take 2 1/2 cups of the muffin mix, 1 cup of milk, and 1 egg. Now here is the fun part. You can mix in 1/2 – 3/4 cup of any mix-ins you want. Get creative and mix in seasonings and cheese for a savory muffin or any type of fruit or nut.
We turned these into lemon blueberry muffins by stirring in some lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 cup blueberries.
Bake them at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Homemade Muffin Mix
Yield 4 Batches of 12
This versatile mix is amazing to keep on hand so you are ready when the muffin mood strikes. This homemade muffin mix is perfect for sweet or savory muffins
- 8 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Shortening
- 1/3 Cup Baking Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 -3/4 cup mix-ins (Fruit, nuts, cheese, spices, etc)
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix all of the ingredients together using a hand mixer until there are no clumps of shortening. Place in an airtight container in a cool place for storage.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix 2 1/2 cups muffin mix with 1 cup of milk and 1 egg.
- Stir in any desired mix ins
- Place in muffin tin and bake for 15-20 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Use a dairy free milk when mixing the muffins.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @afewshortcuts on Instagram and hashtag it #afewshortcuts.
Homemade Muffin Mix Printable Label
Go now to print this FREE Muffin Mix Label for your Muffin mix bags or jar.
If you loved this you will also love my Homemade Pancake Mix!