Homemade Muffin Mix & Free Printable Label
It’s a good day when you smell muffins baking for breakfast! This Homemade Muffin Mix is my go-to when I make any kind of muffin! I love it because this mix isn’t overly sweetened and I can make savory muffins just as easily as I can make sweet ones.
In a large mixing bowl, I mix the flour, sugar, shortening, baking powder, and salt. I use my hand mixer to make sure the shortening is really broken up and distributed evenly.
Once it is all mixed I put it into my big muffin mix jar. Now, there are 2 ways to do this, and neither of them are wrong.
You can put 2 1/2 cups of mix into individual quart-sized bags and label them. That is enough mix for 1 batch so they will be ready to grab and go.
The other way is to place the mix in a large jar with a label and scoop it out as needed. That is what I do. these Large Glass Jars from Amazon are perfect, but I have also seen them at Walmart.
To mix up the muffins take 2 1/2 cups of the muffin mix, 1 cup of milk, and 1 egg. Now here is the fun part. You can mix in 1/2 – 3/4 cup of any mix-ins you want. Get creative and mix in seasonings and cheese for a savory muffin or any type of fruit or nut.
We turned these into lemon blueberry muffins by stirring in some lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 cup blueberries.
Bake them at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Homemade Muffin Mix
- 8 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Shortening
- 1/3 Cup Baking Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 -3/4 cup mix-ins Fruit, nuts, cheese, spices, etc
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix all of the ingredients together using a hand mixer until there are no clumps of shortening. Place in an airtight container in a cool place for storage.BAKE
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix 2 1/2 cups muffin mix with 1 cup of milk and 1 egg.
- Stir in any desired mix ins
- Place in muffin tin and bake for 15-20 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Use a dairy free milk when mixing the muffins.
Homemade Muffin Mix Printable Label
Click the button below to download the peeps for my peeps Printable