If you ask my family, " What is your favorite part of fall?", you are likely to hear the answer, "Mom bakes." That pretty much sums it up. When it cools off I bake. I bake a lot. I love to bake because I love creating things that make people smile. I love the fragrant smells of baked goods streaming from my windows like on a Saturday Morning Cartoon. I love the warmth of the kitchen not just because of the oven, but from the love emitted from it. Cooler weather brings a whole new sense of home.
Apples are the quintessential fall food. They are starting to hit the grocery store at great prices. I just bought a huge bag today for next to nothing. I also had a loaf of french bread sitting on my counter from the baking spree I went on the other day. Put two and two together and you get Apple Pecan Bread pudding. Which if that wasn't yummy enough....a little bit of caramel drizzle makes it that much better!
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Grease a casserole dish and place apples and bread mixed together in the dish.
- In a bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Pour over the bread and apples. Push the bread down to make sure it absorbs the milk mix.
- Sprinkle the top with the chopped pecans and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.Topping
- While it is baking stir together topping ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until caramel sauce forms.
- Drizzle over hot bread pudding when it comes out of the oven.
Dice the bread and the apples and place them in a buttered casserole dish.
Wisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, brown sugar, and a little vanilla and cover the bread and apples. Push down on the bread so it soaks up all of the goodie. Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans and 2 tbsp brown sugar. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Or until it looks like this.
Well, almost like this. While it is baking stir together the caramel topping ingredients in a small saucepan. When you remove the bread pudding from the oven, drizzle the caramel topping over the pudding. Then, it will look like the photo above. ENJOY!
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.