Ahh snack cakes. The best thing in your lunch box when you are a kid. You don't open it up to rejoice in the kind of sandwich you have, or if your mom remembered that you like the little squeeze yogurts. Y'all it is all about the dessert! These Homemade Party Twinkies will have them squealing with delight and all of their friends will be envious!
By the way. If your kids are gluten free, dairy free, or nut free, you can totally make these work. So don't turn away!
First things first! The secret to my awesomeness. You need a twinkie pan. I bought one a little over a year ago. It isn't one of those things you throw in the back of you kitchen cabinet and never use. I actually use it all the time. The kids love when I make treats in it. So go now....buy a twinkie pan, you won't regret it.
Ok, once you have a twinkie pan. These are super simple. I just used my homemade cake mix, but you can use any boxed cake mix you choose. Of course I added about ½ cup of sprinkles because these are party twinkles. So they are like a funfetti cake. Just mix the batter according to the package directions.
Do yourself a HUGE favor and grease & flour your twinkie pan. I know it is a non-stick pan, but trust me when I say grease & flour. There is nothing worse than broken twinkies. Then you have to eat broken twinkles (cause you don't want to waste them) while you make more twinkies. There is a whole process involved
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let them cool in the pan for 5 - 10 minutes before you even thick about removing them. Then transfer them to a cooling rack
Once they are completely cool its time to give them that signature creamy filling. In this case I cheated and used store bought colored frosting. Use any color you choose! I actually did some blue and some purple. You can use a homemade butter cream, but I was taking a shortcut. 🙂
I used a disposable piping bag and this Wilton #230 filling tip. You can also just use something like this cupcake decorator to fill them. Just poke and fill with Icing on both ends and in the center.
When it was all said and done I ended up with 18 Homemade Party Twinkies. I put them all in individual sandwich bags. I actually stored them in the freezer so that they would stay fresh for whenever I decided to pack them. Then they started disappearing 1 by 1. LOL
Homemade Party Twinkies
- 1 Funfetti cake mix prepared
- Frosting colored
- Twinkie Pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease & Flour twinkie pan.
- Make cake mix according to the package instructions.
- Fill twinkie pan ½ of the way full. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let them cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan.
- Then remove to a cooling rack and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Use a piping bag with filling tip to fill twinkles with frosting. Poke it 3 times down the center of the cake while squeezing the frosting into the cake. Repeat with each cake.
- Store in an airtight container. These can be frozen
- Use a gluten-free cake mix or make with this homemade gluten-free cake mix
- Use a dairy free cake mix & milk substitute like almond milk. Also use a dairy free frosting.