Simple Bell Pepper Meatball Subs – KETO & Low Carb
A great sandwich idea that cuts out the bread! These Simple Bell Pepper Meatball Subs are easy, delicious, and low carb!
It’s not easy to eat healthy, especially when subs and sandwiches are involved. That bread is delicious, but it can also throw off a diet in no time. Why not try these Simple Bell Pepper Meatball Subs! They have all of the flavors of a traditional sub with none of the guilt!
Why a Bell Pepper?
Bell peppers are a natural choice to create a low carb or keto sandwich like this. They are low in carbs and have a sweet neutral flavor. Plus, they are sturdy and can hold whatever you choose to fill them with. I have even used them in these Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers and they are just delicious!
How to Make Simple Bell Pepper Meatball Subs
The biggest part of this recipe is making your own meatballs. I love to make my own, but if you wanted to skip that you could purchase frozen low carb meatballs too.
Once the meatballs are cookied pour a jar of marinara sauce over the meatballs and heat for a few more minutes. While they are heating you can place your cut bell peppers on a baking sheet and top them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and a piece of provolone cheese. Just pop them in the oven for the cheese to melt, and if you time it right your peppers will be coming out just in time to be topped with some hot meatballs.
What to serve with Bell Pepper Meatball subs
These Subs are great for an everyday meal, game day, and more. Eat them alone, or serve them with a side salad. They are also good with some cut up veggies and some homemade ranch dip.
Simple Bell Pepper Meatball Subs
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
For the subs:
- 1 jar Marinara Sauce
- 4 bell peppers stems removed and slice horizontally in half
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add meatball ingredients and combine using clean hands. Form the mixture into 16 meatballs.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat. After the pan is heated through and oil is hot, add all of the meatballs and cook for 10 minutes - turning them every few minutes to ensure equal browning.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and pour the jar of marinara sauce over the meatballs. Cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Place bell peppers (cut side facing uon a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper. Place a piece of provolone on four of the pepper halves and place in the oven for 7 or so minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, and add 4 meatballs on top of the cheesy pepper halves. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese if desired. Top with another bell pepper half to finish the sub sandwich. Enjoy warm.