Short on time? Try this easy Microwave Baked Potato Recipe and have a buttery soft baked potato in under 10 minutes.
Sometimes I am really prepared for dinner with my meal plan for the week, and other times I am flying by the seat of my pants trying to whip something up. I call it "balance". When I am short on time this easy Microwave Baked Potato Recipe is a lifesaver. I don't always have time to throw them in the oven. Raw potatoes to deliciously baked buttery potatoes in less than 10 minutes!
All you need for this recipe is
- medium sized russet potatoes
- olive oil
- brown paper bag or paper towels
- potato toppings
How to Microwave Potatoes
Wash your potatoes and poke holes throughout them with a fork.
Brush the outside of your potatoes with the olive oil and place in a brown paper lunch bag or wrap in a paper towel. (This helps them cook more evenly and keeps them from drying out.)
Microwave on a microwave-safe plate at full power for 5-6 minutes. Check your potatoes for tenderness when done "baking". Return to the microwave for 1-2 minute intervals until your potatoes have reached the tenderness you desire. Typically this takes about 8-10 minutes total cook time. Use oven mitts to remove the potato from the microwave.
NOTE: Cook time can vary depending on the size of the potato and the strength of your microwave. Microwaves can vary.
Once Done, unwrap your potatoes and top as usual! ENJOY!
- Using the paper bag or paper towel may seem like a pointless step but it does help the potato "steam" in the microwave allowing it to retain some moisture.
- If cooking multiple potatoes at once try to keep them about the same size so the cooking time is the same.
- This trick also works for smaller round potatoes. They make a delicious smashed potato side dish with some butter and a sprinkle of garlic salt. The cook time will be less for a smaller potato
Now that your potato is done, it is time for your favorite toppings. You can be a purest with butter and salt or you can go full jacket potato and fill it with broccoli, ham, & cheese. The possibilities are endless.
- chili & cheddar cheese
- bacon, sour cream, green onions
- broccoli & cheese
- and so much more
Microwave Baked Potato
- Paper Bag
- 1 Russet Potato Medium
- olive oil
- Wash your potato and prick it with a fork several times.
- Brush the potato with olive oil and place it in a paper bag. If you don't have a paper bag, wrap your potato in a paper towel or even plastic wrap.
- Place your potato in the microwave and cook it at 100% power for 5-6 minutes. Then, carefully remove the potato and give it a squeeze to check for doneness.
- Return to the microwave in 1-minute intervals until cooked to your desired tenderness. Typically a medium-sized potato takes about 8 minutes. However, this can vary based on your microwave and how many potatoes you are cooking at once.
- Once your potato is finished, cut in half lengthwise and top with butter, cheese, salt, whatever toppings you desire and enjoy.