Spooky Mushroom French Bread Pizza Recipe
A spooktacular idea for Halloween! This Spooky Mushroom French Bread Pizza will have the kids and adults begging for more!
To make this spooky pizza you will need
- French Bread
- Olive Oil
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Whole Mushrooms
- Other pizza toppings as desired
The key to this spooky pizza is of course the mushrooms. Purchase WHOLE MUSHROOMS and cut them in half so they sit flat.
Using a paring knife cut a few small slits on the stems. Then using the knife or a straw cut 2 circles for eyes. Set the mushrooms to the side.
Cut your French bread slice and brush with olive oil. Begin assembling your pizza. Instead of red pizza sauce we are using pesto to add to the spooky effect. Spread that on your slice of French bread.
Top with a little bit of shredded mozzarella. We want the green of the pesto to show through, you can even place some cheese below the pesto if you want.
Now top with your mushrooms and any other toppings you want to add. You can brush the mushrooms with a little olive oil as well. This will speed up the shriveling & browning.
Place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and brown.
You are not limited to making this on French bread. You can try this with gluten free bread or any allergen friendly bread.
Their are many great dairy free and vegan cheese alternatives to use for your pizza. We like Daiya. Also the pesto can have dairy. Trader Joes has an excellent vegan pesto. There are also a lot of recipes online for delicious vegan pestos.
Use these fun methods on any recipe that has mushrooms. Try this with our yummy Homemade pizza Crust!
Kids don’t like pesto? No problem. Try this Easy Pizza Sauce instead. It’s delicious and kid friendly!
Toss mushrooms cut like this into your favorite dishes like salads, and even this amazing Crockpot Beef Stew. So much fun!
This is best eaten fresh but can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the oven or air fryer for best results.
Spooky Mushroom French Bread PizzaPrint Recipe
- 2 slices French bread
- 1 – 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Pesto
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup whole mushrooms
- other pizza toppings if desired
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and cover sheet pan with aluminum foil
- Brush olive oil onto each slice of French bread
- Take the whole mushrooms and cut them in half. Using a paring knife cut a few small slits on the stems. Then using the knife or a straw cut 2 circles for eyes. Set the mushrooms to the side.
- Add pesto to the tops of the French bread like pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle each lightly with the shredded mozzarella cheese as desired.
- Now top the pizza with your mushrooms and other pizza toppings. (You can brush the mushrooms with a little olive oil to help them brown better)
- Place pizzas on the sheet pan and bake for 10 -15 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve and enjoy