Get out and enjoy your day in nature! Wherever you are, these tips will help you have the best picnic ever!
Picnics really are an amazing way to spend your time on a beautiful day. And the best part is, there aren’t any rules! As long as you have a blanket, basket, food, and beverages, you are all set. Here are some tips and tricks that you can learn to elevate your picnic experience to the next level! You can have the best picnics year round with minimal effort.
Picnics revolve around food. So, when preparing your picnic, make sure you put thought into the food you pack.
If you are planning your picnic in warmer weather, packing food that will help you stay cool is essential to having a good time. Sandwiches, chips, salads, fruits, and veggies are picnic staples! Maybe try our Greek quinoa salad recipe, our Mexican street corn pasta salad, or our colorful honey lime fruit salad for a flavorful spin on some classic picnic recipes that taste delicious and keep you cool.
You are missing out if you have never been on a picnic in cooler weather! There are less pests, and you don’t have to worry about any of your food melting or getting sticky before you can enjoy it. That being said, you’ll want to stay warm in chilly weather. Maybe try bringing our best-ever tomato soup in a thermos to enjoy with some crackers! Or, you could use our vegan hot chocolate mix to whip up some healthier hot chocolate for a cozy dessert!
The drinks are almost as important as the food if you are looking to have the best picnic. Even if the snacks are perfect, being dehydrated is never fun!
When it is hot out, staying hydrated is extra important. But who wants to drink lukewarm water when the weather is hot? To avoid this, we recommend storing your beverages in an insulated container to keep them ice cold throughout the picnic.
If you don’t have an insulated bottle, no worries! You can fill up a regular water bottle about half full with water and then freeze it on its side. After it is frozen, fill it up the rest of the way with water. Now, your water will stay ice cold the whole picnic! This can be done with other beverages as well! Sodas, juice, or our peach berry iced tea, are all deliciously refreshing for a sunny picnic.
On a colder day, you should still bring water to stay hydrated. To keep extra cozy, you can bring along some hot chocolate, coffee, or tea in an insulated tumbler. To stay extra warm and festive, try making our butterbeer latte!
Now that you have prepared your delicious picnic feast, you must transport it to your destination. How you pack your picnic depends on where you are going, the weather, and how fancy you want to be. Here are some helpful things to keep in mind no matter how you choose to pack picnic:
- Bring a picnic basket that is sturdy and (preferably) insulated. You do not want your food to be spoiled or squished by the time you get to your picnic spot. (We love this Picnic Basket we found on Amazon)
- Beverages are best in an insulated container to keep them extra cold or warm, depending on the weather.
- For keeping things cool inside the picnic basket, store an ice pack or some frozen water bottles! Check out this tip for DIY Ice Packs.
- Utensils! Forks, spoons, knives, and napkins are all really important. Wet wipes are also good to have if you have kids with you.
- Sunscreen, hair ties or clips (long hair + wind = messy eating), and bug repellent.
- Dress comfy and for the weather! There is nothing worse than being uncomfortable.
- Entertainment like music, games, or books will make everything more fun! They can also be a great ice breaker if you are on a date.
You are all ready to have the best picnics ever! Making memories is the ultimate part of a picnic, so remember to have fun, relax, and enjoy your day. If you found these tips helpful, let us know how your picnic experience went!