This post was sponsored by Jimmy Dean. All opinions and the recipe are 100% my own.
The weekends are 100% family time at our house. Making time for each other is important. We are so busy during the week with school and work that the weekends are just for relaxing with one another. Whether it is a family game night, watching football, a movie night, or just enjoying each others company; having some fun and filling foods that the entire family will love is high on the priority list. That is where this Stovetop Sausage Mac & Cheese comes in.
My kids are macaroni and cheese fanatics! They can't get enough of it. I decided to add some Jimmy Dean Sausage and turn it into a meal itself. Just by making our favorite homemade mac & cheese and adding some browned sausage it goes from comfort food, to out of this world amazing! Perfect for any day of the week. I gathered my ingredients and I am ready to take on this easy Stovetop Sausage Mac & Cheese. We love this recipe in our house! It is so easy!
Right now you can visit Jimmy Dean Family Table for more great recipes using Jimmy Dean Sausage.
Stovetop Sausage Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb Sausage Jimmy Dean Roll
- 4 cups Macaroni dried
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
- 2-1/2 cups Whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons Dry Mustard More If Desired
- 1 pound Cheese Grated (Cheddar/Monterey Jack Blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt More To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt More To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Optional Spices: Cayenne Pepper Paprika, Thyme
- Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
- While macaroni is cooking brown ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Cool and strain.
- In a small bowl, beat egg.
- In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
- Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- Add in cheese and stir to melt.
- Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.
- Pour in drained, cooked macaroni & cooked sausage and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees F or until bubbly and golden on top.
This one couldn't wait until the Stovetop Sausage Mac & Cheese made it tot the table. She loves it! Who can blame her?! This stuff is amazing!