I am that mom who has the best ideas and plans. Then they all fall through when I walk to my pantry to see that I am out of one or two of the ingredients I need to pull off a masterpiece. I don’t know if you have ever put 3 kids in the car, buckled them in their car seats, and drove to the store for 1 item, but that is not my idea of fun.
One of those items that I used to always run out of was cake mix, but it my effort to eliminate chemicals from our diets I started making our own, and they are wonderful. Not only are they easy to make with pantry staples, they are great to give as gifts with the recipe. Make a gift basket with a couple d.i.y Cake Mixes, a new cake pan, dish towels and a wooden spoon, and you have a great gift!
The one thing I like about this recipe is I can make my own gluten free cake mixes with ease. If you have looked at the price of Gluten Free Cake mixes they are ridiculous. This recipe makes it affordable for me to make cupcakes again!
Here is a Printable Cake Mix Directions sheet to print that way you can attach it to your own homemade mixes.
Don’t forget about this Homemade Pancake Mix too! I love stocking my pantry with chemical free items!
- 2 Cups All purpose Flour
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ cup cocoa Powder (for chocolate only)
- Combine all the ingredients and store in an airtight container or baggie. Keeps well in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- Above recipe makes one cake mix equivalent to a 18.5 oz boxed mix.
- Mix cake mix with ¾ cup milk or milk substitute, 1 tsp vanilla, ½ cup butter or margarine, and 3 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes and Bake at 350 F.
- To bake a 8-9 inch round pan 20-25 mins
- To Bake 13x9 pan 35-40 mins
- To bake cupcakes- 12-15 mins
- To bake Tube or Bundt Pan 45-50 mins
- Here is a Printable Direction sheet to attach to your mixes