I am that mom who has the best ideas and plans. Then they all fall through when I walk to my pantry to see that I am out of one or two of the ingredients that I need to pull off a masterpiece. I don’t know if you have ever put 3 kids in the car, buckled them in their car seats, and drove to the store for 1 item, but that is not my idea of fun.
One of those items that I used to always run out of was cake mix. Since we are trying eliminate pre-packaged items anyway these homemade cake mixes are wonderful. Not only are they easy to make with pantry staples, they are great to give as gifts with the recipe. Make a gift basket with a couple DIY Cake Mixes, a new cake pan, dish towels, sprinkles, and a wooden spoon, and you have a great gift!
I also how easy it is to make these gluten free or dairy free! Those Gluten Free Cake Mixes can be so expensive, and half of them don’t taste that good. Follow the instructions to make this into a gluten free cake mix and you won’t be disappointed.
You can go now and print these FREE Labels. There are 4 to a sheet. That way you can label your homemade cake mixes with directions!
Don’t forget about this Homemade Pancake Mix too! I love stocking my pantry with chemical free items!
- 2 Cups All purpose Flour
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ cup cocoa Powder (for chocolate only)
- Combine all the ingredients and store in an airtight container or baggie. Keeps well in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- Above recipe makes one cake mix equivalent to a 18.5 oz boxed mix.
- Mix cake mix with ¾ cup milk or milk substitute, 1 tsp vanilla, ½ cup butter or margarine, and 3 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes and Bake at 350 F.
- To bake a 8-9 inch round pan 20-25 mins
- To Bake 13x9 pan 35-40 mins
- To bake cupcakes- 12-15 mins
- To bake Tube or Bundt Pan 45-50 mins
- Here is a Printable Direction sheet to attach to your mixes
**Dairy Free** Use almond milk or other milk substitute and dairy free margarine or vegetable oil.