The easiest and best Pastilitos recipe around! You have to taste just how delicious these Easy Guava Pastries are to make. The best with a cup of coffee!
I was in Tampa with the kids this week and I heard my stomach start to growl. Mostly because I knew that Cuban Sandwiches and Guava Pastries (Pastelitos de guayaba) were easy to find. If you have never had Cuban food, I highly suggest a visit to Tampa ASAP to get your hands on some of the delicious cuisine. The best part is, you don’t have to travel to enjoy some of these easy to make, guava pastries.
Of course, one of the most important ingredients is Guava Paste. You can find this on the ethnic aisle of your grocery store. You can also order it from Amazon. Can’t you order everything from Amazon anymore? It is so yummy!
You will also need a package of puff pastry. I keep that in my freezer at all times. There are so many delicious appetizers and desserts that can be made with puff pastry….it is a must have!
The Guava paste is actually very thick. You slice it to put on the puff pastry because it is just too thick to spread. At this point you can get fancy and even add some cream cheese. I was totally going to do that, but someone used the last of it for Fiesta Stuffed Sweet Peppers yesterday. Guess I need to get to the store.
All you are going to do now is lay the other sheet of puff pastry over the top, and pre-slice your pastries to your desired size. 1 1/2 -2 inch squares always turn out good. You can bake them just like this on the parchment paper or you can get a little fancier.
I brushed the top of mine with an egg wash and then sprinkled some whole sugar on top. Mmmm…. Then put them in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees F. Or until golden brown.
They come out golden brown, flaky, and oozing the sweet guava filling. Get a cup of coffee and enjoy!
Easy Guava Pastries Recipe
- 1 package Puff Pastry Dough
- 1 package Guava Paste
- 8 oz cream cheese - optional
- 1 Egg White
- 2 tbsp cane sugar - Large
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F
- Thaw Puff pastry according to package directions.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and unfold one of the pastry sheets and place on pan.
- Slice guava into 1/4 inch slices and place evenly on the pastry sheet.
- Spread cream cheese over guava paste slices (optional)
- Top with second puff pastry sheet and cut into desired pastry size. I cut mine in 1.5 inch squares.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl and brush over the top of the pastries. Sprinkle with cane sugar.
- You can bake these as they are and pull them apart when they are done. Or you can also separate and bake them individually like you would cookies. I prefer the second method.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve.
Originally posted July 2013. Updated November 2018.