This post may contain affiliate links.
Don’t let movie night pass you buy without trying this Easy Homemade Cracker Jacks Recipe. They could be better than the original!
We love having movie nights at our house. Who can have a movie night without snacks? You know it is a super special movie night when there is Homemade Cracker Jacks involved!
I will never forget being a few months pregnant with my oldest daughter and sending my hubby out in the middle of the night for Cracker Jacks. I don’t know what it is about them but they are still one of my favorites!
Once you learn how to make them yourself, you can give them as gifts, enjoy them for movie night, and more!
Easy Homemade Cracker Jacks Recipe
- 3 Tbs. Oil
- ½ Cup Popcorn (unpopped)
- 1 ½ Cups Roasted Peanuts
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 2 ½ Tbsp. Molasses (unsulphured)
- ½ teas. Salt
- Preheat oven to 260˚.
- Add Oil and Popcorn to a Dutch oven over medium high heat and cover. Once the popping starts reduce heat to medium and alternately shake the pot and crack the lid to let steam vent.
- Once the popping slows to a pop every 2-3 seconds remove from heat and transfer the Popcorn to a lightly greased 13x9 inch pan, avoid transferring any unpopped kernels.
- Add the Peanuts to the Popcorn and put in the oven to stay warm.
- In small sauce pan over medium heat add the Butter, Brown Sugar, Corn Syrup, Molasses and Salt. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally and cook until a candy thermometer reads 260˚.
- Pour over the warm Popcorn and Peanuts and stir to coat. Return to the oven and stir every 5 minutes. After the first 10 minutes raise the oven temp to 275˚ and continue to stir every 5 minutes for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and continue to stir every minute or so as it cools to keep it from forming clumps.
- Keep in airtight containers at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Substitute dairy free margarine instead of butter