A fun twist on a classic cake. This Blueberry Upside Down Cake Recipe is simple to make and melts in your mouth! A Springtme favorite!
This all came about because I was looking for something delicious to make for Easter Dessert. There is, of course, a traditional Upside Down Cake, but I like to mix things up a bit when I can. In the past I have made a Strawberry Upside Down Cake which is AMAZING! So, I thought to myself, why not a Blueberry Upside Down Cake?
It starts out simple enough! I chose to use my Homemade Yellow Cake mix to make things easier. You can totally make a yellow cake from scratch, or use a store bought cake mix. No judgement here. We are all about good food, but understand shortcuts are a must sometimes.
You will also need brown sugar, melted butter (I used melted coconut oil to keep it dairy free), and of course blueberries.
Frozen or Fresh Blueberries?
This recipe is great with either frozen or fresh blueberries. This time around I chose to use frozen because they were cheaper. We did just buy some blueberry bushes to plant in the yard. So this time next year, I am hoping that I will have enough fresh berries to stock my freezer myself.
Gluten Free Blueberry Upside Down Cake
Believe it or not, the cake pictured is actually gluten free. This recipe is totally adaptable. Just use a gluten free cake mix or make a gluten free yellow cake from scratch. My Homemade Yellow Cake mix can actually be made gluten free too, so it makes it super simple.
By the way, this can be easily made dairy free too. Just use a dairy free cake mix and use coconut oil or your favorite dairy free margarine in place of the butter.
Does the cake need refrigerated?
NO, it does not have to be refrigerated. This cake can be stored in a covered cake plate on the counter for 2-3 days without a problem. If you plan on letting this cake live longer than that, then I recommend storing it in an airtight container in the fridge.
What size baking pan?
I baked this cake using a 9x9 glass pan. This cake would fit in a 13x9 pan as well, it would just turn out a little thinner. It would also require less cooking time. So adjust accordingly. I would start checking it for doneness around 25 minutes.
Because of the butter in the topping you don't have to grease or flour the bottom of the pan but you may want to quickly grease the sides to avoid sticking.
Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Prepared cake mix according to the package instructions. You could also prepare a yellow cake batter from scratch.
- In a 9x9 square baking pan pour the melted butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top. Stir if needed to spread evenly.
- Add the blueberries over the top of the brown sugar mix, again spreading them out as evenly as possible. Finally, Top with the cake batter spreading evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes carefully flip the cake onto a cake plate and out of the pan. Allow to finish cooling and serve.
- Use a gluten free cake mix or cake recipe
- Use a dairy free cake mix and melted coconut oil or diary free margarine in place of the melted butter.
More Cake Recipes
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.