Skip those storebought packets with questionable ingredients and learn how to make Homemade Taco Seasoning with simple everyday spices!
I am a DIYer. If I can do it or make it myself, I like to. I also like to know what I am feeding my kids and my family. This Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe recently came about because of my obsessive label reading.
In our house, we have a couple of food allergies which makes me a label reader, and I am glad it does. Did you know that some Taco and Fajita seasonings contain wheat? Not only wheat but fillers, preservatives, and other unnecessary things. I prefer natural ingredients when possible, that is why I choose to make my own seasoning mixes when I can.
I mean it is easy enough, I can make it ahead in bulk, and I can tweak it to my family’s tastes. It is affordable, and there really isn’t a reason not to. Hope you enjoy making your own taco seasoning too!
Other Uses for Taco Seasoning
Don’t stop at Tacos!! Use a little bit of this seasoning to spice up your rice, beans, and more. Have fun and experiment with it!
Printable Homemade Taco Seasoning Label
Make this delicious Homemade Taco Seasoning in bulk and store it in a mason jar for quick dinners. Then use these free Printable labels to mark your jar so you know exactly what is inside. These print 2 sets to a sheet, so you have an extra to share with a friend or family member.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Use as you typically would a packet of taco seasoning.
- About 3 Tbsp per 1lb ground beef +- depending on your taste.
- Multiply the amounts to make this in bulk for future meals.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Tips
- Find affordable seasonings at the Dollar Store, or in the Hispanic section of your grocery store. I don’t know why that makes them less expensive, but it works.
- Make this recipe in bulk and store it in an airtight container for quick dinners.
- Use this seasoning for other items like fajitas, nachos, chicken, and more.
Originally posted April 2011. Updated January 2019.
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.