An insanely simple appetizer recipe that is sure to fly off of the plate! This easy Creamy Spinach Pinwheels Recipe is a winner!
I originally posted this recipe in September of 2010. I had been blogging for only one year and it had already changed the way I did things. It never ceases to amaze me how my decision to share recipes and money-saving tips to others led me down this path of owning my own small business! Crazy but true. It is all thanks to amazing recipes like these delicious Creamy Spinach Pinwheels.
This recipe originally came out of one of my old cookbooks. You know, those things we kept around long before Pinterest was even a thing. LOL, I used to make them with crescent rolls (which you can still totally do), but now we have upgraded to puff pastry dough and I love them that much more now.
These are, oh so, perfect for the holidays and terrific for game day! I love appetizers like this where you can throw them together in just minutes! Just bake them up and put them on a tray for a delicious, quick appetizer.
These are the best made with puff pastry in my opinion. You can use the store bought frozen kind or try your hand at making your own puff pastry. I have even seen some brands offering a gluten free version, but I haven’t tried it yet.
Don’t like puff pastry? Don’t want to spend a ton of money? You can make these with Crescent Roll Dough too!
The filling of these pinwheels is phenomenal. In a bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, drained/defrosted spinach, garlic, cheese, salt, and pepper..
If you are having a difficult time spreading the cream cheese mixture or getting it to spread simply pop it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
Kick the filling up a notch by adding some precooked diced bacon, roasted red peppers, onions, or other diced veggies.
Want hot and fresh appetizers but don’t have a lot of time? Prep these ahead. Make the pinwheels and before you slice, wrap the log of dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours before slicing and baking. This can save a ton of time before a get together and still provide hot, tasty appetizers.
Spinach not your thing? Try other flavors using this same method. Make turkey and cheese roll ups, ham and cheese rolls ups, etc. The possibilities are endless
Creamy Spinach Pinwheels
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. In a bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, drained spinach, garlic, cheese, salt, and pepper.
Take out your thawed puff pastry dough. There will be 2 sheets and you are going to use them both. Unfold it and spread ½ of the spinach mixture over the dough leaving ¼ inch around the edge.
Roll up your dough pinwheel style and slice into pieces about 3/4 of an inch thick. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Do the same with the second piece of dough. This recipe makes 24-30 appetizers depending on size. Which is perfect for any party!
I can tell you that these are amazing. My kids love them, my hubby devours them, and everyone asks for the recipe. These would be the hit of the party at any event!
You can even make these with crescent roll dough, the instructions for that are included with the recipe below.
While these are delicious on their own some people enjoy them with a little bit of ranch dressing on the side.
Creamy Spinach Pinwheels
- 1 pkg Puff Pastry Dough thawed
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 12 oz frozen spinach defrosted and drained
- 1 tbsp. garlic minced
- ¼ cup parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, drained/defrosted spinach, garlic, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Unfold your thawed puff pastry dough. You are going to use both pieces in the package.
- Spread ½ of the spinach mixture over the dough leaving ¼ inch around the edge.
- Roll the dough into pinwheels, and slice into pieces 3/4 inch thick.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Do the same with the second piece of dough.
- Recipe makes 24-30 appetizers depending on size
Crescent Dough Directions
- You could use crescent roll dough instead. Roll out the dough and press seams together. Spread the filling on the dough and roll up in the same way as listed above. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. ENJOY!
Check out my full list of Appetizer Recipes here
Originally published in September 2010, post updated December 2018.