Spice up dinner with this Low Carb friendly Instant Pot Chicken Adobo Recipe! Simple to make and great paired with veggies or rice.
Need a new recipe to spice up your dinner rotation? I am always looking for something to try that the whole family can eat, but doesn’t take forever to get from the fridge to the table. This Instant Pot Chicken Adobo is perfect! It is low carb friendly, and so full of flavor. Serve it with rice and veggies, or even Cauliflower Rice for a complete meal.
What is Chicken Adobo?
There are two types of Adobo. One is a Mexican dish and one is a Filipino dish. This is a Filipino Chicken Adobo. The dish includes meat, seafood, or vegetables marinated in vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic. The food is then browned in oil and simmered in the marinade. It is very popular in the Philippines and it is easy to see why, because it is so full of delicious flavor!
What Type of Instant Pot?
I am so in love with my Instant Pot, and I realize that there are so many on the market now. Different sizes, Different features. As log as your Instant Pot is 4 qt or larger you should not have any problems with this recipe.
Can I use Other Cuts of Chicken?
YES! You can totally try this recipe with other cuts of chicken. The chicken thighs are traditional for Chicken Adobo, but this would be fine with any cut of chicken. You may have to adjust the cooking time slightly depending on the size of the cut.
Where do you find Liquid Aminos?
Liquid Aminos are the only kind of obscure ingredient in this recipe. I prefer them to soy sauce because they are healthier and gluten free. You can find Liquid Aminos at almost any grocery store now, but they are obviously more readily available at Whole Foods, or even online at Amazon.
Low Carb – Gluten Free – Dairy Free
I love this recipe because it covers all your bases. This Chicken Adobo is low carb friendly, gluten free, and dairy free. So depending on what you pair it with to serve it you should be covered!
Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup liquid aminos
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper all sides of the chicken thighs.
- Set electric pressure cooker to “saute.” When the hot signal is displayed, pour olive oil into the liner. Place chicken thighs into the pressure cooker and brown on each side. Do not crowd the chicken. Cook in batches if needed, keeping the chicken warm as the other cooks.
- Remove chicken from pressure cooker and deglaze the bottom of the pot with chicken broth, scraping the bottom to remove any stuck pieces. Turn the electric pressure cooker off.
- In a large mixing cup or medium bowl, mix together the liquid aminos, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and cayenne.
- Arrange chicken thighs in the pressure cooker. Pour the liquid aminos mixture over the chicken. Top with onion slices and bay leaves.
- Attach the lid and set the valve to sealing. Program the pressure cooker on “manual” or “pressure cook” for 10 minutes on high. When the cooking cycle has completed, perform a quick release of the pressure.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil spritzed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer chicken from electric pressure cooker to baking sheet. Place under the broiler for 5 to 10 minutes or until the chicken skin has crisped, being careful not to burn.
- Meanwhile, set the pressure cooker to “saute” and allow to boil while the chicken broils. Reduce the sauce by half or until desired consistency.
- Move chicken back to pressure cooker and serve with sauce.
- Top with sliced green onions if desired.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings Recipe
- 5 Minute Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs Recipe
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.