Easy Guava Pastries Recipe
I was in Tampa with the kids this week and I heard my stomach start to growl. Mostly because I knew that Cuban Sandwiches and Guava Pastries (Pastelitos de guayaba) were easy to find. If you have never had Cuban food, I highly suggest a visit to Tampa ASAP to get your hands on some of the delicious cuisine. You don’t have to travel to have some yummy, easy to make, guava pastries. Just whip up a batch of your own.
Of course one of the most important ingredients is Guava Paste. You can find this on the ethnic aisle of your grocery store. I picked this pack up at Publix for under $2. It is so yummy! You will also need a package of puff pastry. I keep that in my freezer at all times. There are so many delicious appetizers and desserts that can be made with puff pastry….it is a must have!
The Guava paste is actually very thick. You slice it to put on the puff pastry because it is just too thick to spread. At this point you can get fancy and even add some cream cheese. I was totally going to do that, but someone used the last of it for Fiesta Stuffed Sweet Peppers yesterday. Guess I need to get to the store.
All you are going to do now is lay the other sheet of puff pastry over the top, and pre-slice your pastries to your desired size. 1 1/2 -2 inch squares always turn out good. You can bake them just like this on the parchment paper or you can get a little fancier.
I brushed the top of mine with an egg wash and then sprinkled some whole sugar on top. Mmmm…. Then put them in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees F. Or until golden brown.
They come out golden brown, flaky, and oozing the sweet guava filling. Get a cup of coffee and enjoy!
- 1 Package of Puff Pastry
- 1 Package of Guava Paste
- 1 package of Cream Cheese (optional)
- 1 Egg & Cane Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F
- Thaw Puff pastry according to package directions.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and unfold one of the pastry sheets and place on pan.
- Slice guava into ¼ inch slices and place evenly on the pastry sheet.
- Spread cream cheese over guava paste slices (optional)
- Top with second puff pastry sheet and cut into desired pastry size. I cut mine in 2 inch squares.
- Beat egg in a small bowl and brush over the top of the pastries. Sprinkle with cane sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve.