Copycat Jell-o 1-2-3 – Layered Jello Dessert Recipe
Nostalgia kicking in. Check out this simple Copycat Jell-o 1-2-3 recipe. Even if you don’t remember it this is a delicious and simple layered Jello Dessert Recipe everyone loves!
When I was little little, Jell-o 1-2-3 came in a rectangular box and was flipping amazing. Watching this dessert settle into these fun layers was half the fun. Jell-o doesn’t make this any more, but you can make your own Layered Jello Dessert Recipe with just a few simple ingredients from your kitchen.
To make this all you need is
- Your favorite flavor of Jello
- 1 tub of Cool Whip (or similar whipped topping)
- Serving Glasses
My kids used to think this was magical! Dissolve the gelatin powder in 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Whisk until the powder is completely dissolved. I used strawberry jello today.
Then stir in 2/3 tub of cool whip. Keep stirring until the entire bowl is melted together.
You reserve the remaining 1/3 to top the desserts with later or just use additional whipped cream or topping for the tops before serving.
Once mixed pour into serving glasses. 4-6 depending on the serving size. At this point your dessert will all be one color. Place it in the refrigerator to set for at least 3 hours. While it is setting your dessert will settle into layers (Thanks density).
When your layered jello dessert is all set you can top it with some additional whipped topping or whipped cream and enjoy!
Did you know that Cool Whip contains a dairy derivative? So if you are truly allergic to milk you should avoid it. If you are just avoiding most dairy you should be fine.
These days there are Vegan Whipped Toppings that are tasty and easy to find at most grocers. You can use one of those in place of the cool whip to make this truly dairy free.
This dessert can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. Jello does not freeze well….trust me.
Oh this layered jello dessert has so many fun things you can do with it that kids love!
- Mix up the flavors and the colors for birthdays or holidays.
- Homeschooling? A great example to help teach density.
- Mix colors to help teach kids color families
More Jello Recipes
I love using jello in desserts. It is a fun family friendly ingredient/dessert. Check out these other jello recipes
- Octopus Beach Magic Jello Cups
- Patriotic Jello Cupcakes Recipe
- Seafoam & Shark Jello Cups – Shark Week Treat
- Firecracker Jello Cups Recipe
Jell-o 1-2-3 Layered Dessert Recipe
- 3 oz Flavored Gelatin Mix Any Flavor
- 1 1/2 Cups Boiling Water
- 8 oz Whipped Topping like cool whip, thawed
- In a medium mixing bowl, disolve gelatin mix into boiling water.
- Carefully stir in 2/3 of the whipped topping until incorporated. It will melt.
- Once mixed pour into individual clear serving glasses. 4-6 depending on size.
- Place in the fridge and allow it to set for at least 3 hours
- Once set top with additional whipped topping or whipped cream and enjoy.