Don't be stuck with those expensive store-bought nuggets! Save money and your taste buds with The Best Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets Recipe. Make them ahead and freeze for quick dinners.
My kids are typical kids and they love chicken nuggets. The only problem is we need them gluten free and the store bought nuggets aren't affordable. We have tried many brands and even splurged on the frozen ones from time to time, but we always come back to THE BEST Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets.
Sometimes I get overwhelmed and look for shortcuts when I can find them. The last time I bought a bag of Tyson Gluten Free Chicken Tenders for the kids I counted them out. The bag had about 9 - 10 chicken tenders in it for $8. Yes, EIGHT DOLLARS!
Just to remind myself that specialty diets do not have to cost a ton, I wanted to see how many nuggets I could make with 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. About 1 lb or $1.99 worth (depending on the sale). I was able to make about 50 chick-fil-a style nuggets with 2 chicken breasts or 12 tenders.
Talk about a HUGE difference in price and quality! The kids LOVE the homemade nuggets much more than the store bought ones.
Freeze for Later
These nuggets are up there with Chick-Fil-A in our opinion. They do take a little while to make when you pan fry them, but if you have a big fryer it should take you no time. I typically make a double batch and freeze the extras so we can have a quick meal another night of the week. Oh, and if we serve them to guests no one has any idea they are gluten-free! You really can't go wrong with the best gluten free chicken nuggets EVER!
The Best Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets
- 2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (cubed)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour mix (King Arthur Flour is great)
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- vegetable oil for frying
- Heat oil in a large skillet or deep fat fryer to 350-375 degrees F.
- While oil is heating in a bowl whisk the egg and water together to create an egg wash.
- In another bowl mix gluten free baking mix, seasoning salt, and pepper.
- Take the cubed chicken pieces and coat them in the flour mix, then dip them in the egg mix, then back in the flour for a final coat. Do this with all of the chicken pieces. Set aside until oil is hot.
- Once the oil is hot, drop the chicken into the oil one at a time careful not to overcrowd the pan. You may have to fry them in batches. Fry them until golden brown and cooked through, a couple minutes per side.
- Drain them on a paper towel and serve.
Freezer NuggetsYou can fry these nuggets ahead of time and store them in the freezer. Just allow them to cool completely before putting them in a gallon Ziploc bag. When ready to cook, heat oven to 400 degrees and spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10-15 mins or until heated through.
More Gluten Free Recipes
- The Easiest Gluten Free Strawberry Cake Recipe
- Gluten Free Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe
- The Best Gluten Free Sandwich Bread Recipe
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.