A light, delicious cake does not have to be difficult to make! This Easy Angel Food Cake Recipe takes only minutes to prepare.
Baking a cake without a mix can be a scary thought if you are new to baking. It can be a scary thought if you aren’t new to baking too. Baking shouldn’t be scary. It should be enjoyable. This Easy Angel Food Cake takes some egg whites, sugar, & flour and turns them into a light, fluffy, and angelic cake that is sure to be enjoyed!
How to Make Angel Food Cake
Start with room temperature eggs. They will whip up better for you. Separate your egg whites and measure them in a large measuring cup. You will need 1 1/2 cups. It seems like a lot, but they are the star of the show.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and set your bundt or tube pan out so it is ready to go.
While you are preparing your ingredients, sift together the flour, powdered sugar and corn starch in a bowl. This will allow you to keep going later on. Just set it to the side.
In your mixer you are going to whip your egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla on medium speed until you have soft peaks. That is when you lift the whisk attachment and the meringue pulls up but then flops over.
Once that happens turn your mixer back on medium low speed. It is time to start adding the granulated sugar. Sprinkle it in while the mixer is running about 2 tbsp at a time until it is all incorporated.
By now you should have stiff peaks, or you meringue is holding its shape. If it isn’t turn your mixer back on and let it continue to beat until it does.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and add about 1/4 of the flour mixture to your meringue and carefully fold it in. Continue adding the flour in fourths and folding it in until it is all incorporated.
Pour your batter into your tube or bundt pan and place on the lower rack of your oven. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until done.
Once the cake is done remove it from the oven and flip it over immediately. Allow it to cool in the pan and then carefully loosen and remove it from the pan. Enjoy!
Make a very simple gluten free angel food cake. Just substitute your favorite gluten free flour in place of the all purpose flour. Also stir in 1 tsp of xanthin gum for stability.
Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Weird but true…you can turn this into a Chocolate Angel Food Cake in one easy step. To make Chocolate angel food cake prepare as above, except sift ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder with the powdered sugar-flour mixture.
That is it. It is incredible by the way. You should really give it a try.
This cake does beautifully in a cake plate on your counter for a few days. It can also be frozen and enjoyed at a later time. Just wrap it up well.
Easy Angel Food Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In your stand mixer beat the room temperature egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla until soft peaks form (the tips will curl with beaters lifted).
- Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tbsps at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. This is when the meringue holds its shape and does not fall over.
- In a seperate bowl, sift powdered sugar, flour, and cornstarch together. Once is great twice will five a very delicate cake.
- Add 1⁄4 of the powdered sugar/flour mix to the stiff egg whites. Fold in gently. Repeat, folding in the remaining flour mix by fourths.
- Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan or bundt pan.
- Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert cake when you remove from oven. Cool thoroughly in pan, Loosen cake from pan, and remove.
- Use a gluten free flour and add 1 tsp of xanthan gum.