Sweet fried, cornbread goodness in a little bite. This simple Gluten Free hushpuppies recipe is perfect for your next fish dinner.
One thing that goes with catfish…hushpuppies. There is no hesitation in that statement. I love fresh fried hushpuppies with a fish dinner. They are crispy on the outside but soft, sweet and delicious on the inside. This Gluten Free Hushpuppies Recipe is incredible! There is no difference in taste from the original.
How to make Gluten Free Hushpuppies
These are easy peasy! Simply mix the eggs, milk, sugar, and VERY finely diced onions in a bowl stirring well. In a second bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients in with the egg mixture and stir. If your batter is very dry you can add 1 -2 tbsp of milk as needed.
Heat oil in a skillet or fryer to 350 degrees. I love using my cast iron for this! Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into the hot oil. Allow them to cook for a couple minutes on each side. They might even flip themselves. That is ok.
When they are golden brown all over remove from the oil and drain on a plate with paper towels or a rack.
Serve with dipping sauce if desired.
The only dairy in these gluten free hushpuppies is the milk which can very simply be replaced with a dairy free milk option of your choice.
Cajun Dipping Sauce
These little fritters are amazing on their own but even more of a show stopper with some dipping sauce.
You will need
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Cajun Seasoning
Simply just whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl. That is it. That makes the perfect little cajun dipping sauce for your hushpuppies.
Want make it dairy free? Use a vegan sour cream or even mayo in place of the sour cream. It has a slightly different flavor but it is still delicious.
Like I said before, there is nothing better with fried fish than these Gluten Free Hushpuppies. I make them every time I make these Gluten Free Fish & Chips. That along with some homemade coleslaw and you have an amazing meal.
Gluten Free Hushpuppies
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk or dairy free alternative
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Corn flour or any gluten free flour
- 1/2 Cup gluten-free cornmeal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil for frying
Cajun Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- Combine eggs, sugar, and onions in a large bowl stirring together.
- Combine dry ingredients in a smaller bowl, and add add to egg mixture. Stiring until combined
- Heat deep fryer or a kettle of oil at least two inches deep over medium-high heat.
- Once oil reaches 350-375º, drop hushpuppy dough in by heaping teaspoonfuls.
- Allow them to cook for a couple minutes on each side. You will see them turn golden brown. Turning may not be necessary as they can sometimes turn themselves.
- Remove from oil onto paper towels to drain grease.
- Serve with cajun dipping sauce. (optional)
- whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Adjust the lemon juice and seasoning to taste.