There are few things better than this Simple Strawberry Buttercream Frosting Recipe! Perfect for any cake or cupcake and can be made vegan too!
I have an affinity for all things strawberry. It is one of my favorite flavors and since March is my birthday month I thought it was the perfect time to share this Simple Strawberry Buttercream Frosting Recipe. You know, in case anyone wants to make a cake or cupcakes, or just because.
This starts out like a standard buttercream. I always turn the mixer up and just let it go on high for about 5 minutes. I love a light and fluffy frosting. This time there is a secret ingredient.
Freeze dried strawberries! I love to just eat these as they are but stick them in your food processor for a couple minutes and you have "strawberry dust". Which is the perfect addition to your buttercream to not only flavor it but color it too! I found these at Aldi, but many stores sell them. You can find them with the dried fruit, or sometimes on the cereal aisle.
Now you can add as much or as little as you want, but a half of a bag worth does a single batch for me. I just went ahead and made a double batch because Strawberry Buttercream Frosting is life, and dumped in the entire bag.
It turned out beautifully! I have a recipe for Gluten Free Strawberry Cupcakes coming soon, but in the meantime, you can use it to frost anything you want. It is divine on a yellow cake, and heavenly on a chocolate cupcake because chocolate and strawberry were just meant to be.
In case you were wondering, I purchase my cupcake liners from Sweets and Treats! They have the best selection of greaseproof liners around!
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or dairy free butter alternative
- 2-3 tbsp milk or dairy-free alternative
- 0.6 oz freeze dried strawberries or half of a bag
- In a food processor, puree freeze dried strawberries until they are a fine dust.
- In a mixer beat butter and sugar together along with 1 tbsp of milk on high for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in strawberry dust and 1 tbsp additional milk and beat. Add more milk if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Ice your cake as normal. Store uneaten/unused frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Use dairy-free butter alternatives like earth balance sticks or butter flavored Crisco. Also replace the milk with almond milk or coconut milk for the best results.