A healthy and incredibly simple summer side dish that is keto friendly and FULL of flavor. This Skillet Squash & Zucchini with pesto is a great way to use those veggies!
In the summertime my kitchen always seems to have squash or zucchini in the fridge. To be honest, neither of them were my favorite but as I have gotten older I have learned to embrace veggies. For me it is all about the right texture and adding fresh flavors to make them even more delicious! This Skillet Summer Squash & Zucchini with Pesto is crazy quick to make and really hits the spot if you are looking for a delicious side or quick Keto friendly meal.
What Kind of Pesto?
If you have been around A Few Shortcuts long you know my kids have food allergies, so that forces me to think outside the box. You can use any pesto you choose for this dish; store-bought, homemade, etc. This time we went with this Trader Joes Vegan Kale, Cashew, & Basil Pesto because it's dairy free. This mama doesn't have allergies so I may have wondered how it would compare, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was delicious!
How long do you cook it?
I am a master of watching and tasting. Everyone loves their veggies cooked a little differently. I would say start watching these closely around 5 minutes of sautéing. I prefer my veggies with a little bite left in them. When you are cooking this Squash & Zucchini with pesto should only take 10 minutes at the most.
Can it be a meal?
Absolutely! You could even turn the veggies into noodles using one of those spiral cutters if you would like. This dish is healthy, Keto friendly, and delicious! You definitely don't feel guilty after having a bowl full but it does fill you up in a good way. It is a dish that is fresh and flavorful without being overpowering!
Skillet Squash & Zucchini With Pesto
- 1 cup yellow summer squash sliced
- 1 cup zucchini sliced
- ⅓ cup Pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a cast iron skillet over medium to medium high heat drizzle the olive oil and toss in the squash and zucchini.
- Stir them around to begin cooking and add in the pesto.
- Saute the veggies in the pesto for about 5 - 10 minutes depending on the desired doneness. Some people like their veggies firmer than others.
- Serve with some shredded parmesan cheese if desired.
Dairy FreeTrader Joes sells a dairy free pesto that is incredible. It can be found in the refrigerated section near the produce.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad Recipe
- The Best Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Recipe
- Disappearing Corn & Zucchini Side Dish Recipe