Stop waiting for your letter to Hogwarts! Whip up a batch of these magical Butterbeer Muddy Buddies! There are spells to make them gluten free and vegan too!
So, in case you didn’t know already, Harry Potter is a big thing in our house. We read the books. We watch the movies. Then there is the food; we make it all because it is delicious. Pumpkin Pasties should be served year round, just saying. This time we whipped up a special treat to snack on while watching our latest Harry Potter Marathon and these Butterbeer Muddy Buddies are addictively delicious!
Now I am spilling secrets here guys, so pay attention. If you have ever been to Universal and enjoyed a Butterbeer you know, it has a “cream soda” like taste. I have seen recipes claiming to be butterbeer flavored snacks, but none of them contain the right stuff. I found these Watkins Root Beer and Imitation Caramel Extracts. The flavors are perfect for these Butterbeer Muddy Buddies.
Now for those of you that are old school muddy buddy pros you know that you melt peanut butter and chocolate chips for the muddy buddy goodness. I didn’t want peanut butter to overpower my Butterbeer muddy buddies, so we used an equally delicious Almond Butter. It didn’t have as strong of a flavor and worked perfectly for these!
- I added almond butter and white chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 50% for 1 minute. Stir and return to microwave in 30-second intervals to melt as needed.
- Once melted stir in flavorings until smooth.
- Pour your melted butterbeer goodness over your rice Chex.
- Stir until evenly coated.
Magical sidenote: If you need to make these Vegan or dairy free for someone in your life these King David White Choco Chips are available on Amazon. I keep them stocked in my pantry, and they are delicious. They are what I used for this recipe, and it turned out amazingly.
Once your Muddy Buddies are coated, toss them with some powdered sugar and then dust them with gold sugar sprinkles. I happened to have these star and lightning bolt sprinkles in my sprinkle cabinet, so I used them too!
The magic is real in these Butterbeer Muddy Buddies. I really can’t say enough good things about them. Our batch disappeared way to fast like it apparated out of sight. Check out the spell below to whip up your own.
Watch the Video
Butterbeer Muddy Buddies
- 9 Cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 1 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Almond Butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Root Beer Extract
- 1/2 tsp Imitation Caramel Extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Into a large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In a microwavable bowl, microwave white chocolate chips, almond butter, and coconut oil uncovered at 50% strength for 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in root beer and caramel extracts. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Toss with powdered sugar to coat. Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool. Evenly cover with sprinkles.
- Serve. Store uneaten Butterbeer Muddy Buddies in an airtight container.
- Use gluten free rice chex or similar cereal.
- Use Vegan White Chocolate Chips like King David Brand. Also, watch your extracts to make sure they are imitation and free of dairy.
More Harry Potter Themed Treats
- Chocolate Frog Cupcakes
- Butterbeer Latte
- Harry Potter Printable Bookmarks
- All Harry Potter on A Few Shortcuts