A southern classic made easier! This Instant Pot Turnip Greens Recipe will have you enjoying a bowl in minutes instead of hours.
During the holidays there are a few dishes that are a must at my house. One of them is a bowl of greens! Greens are a staple across the south and a tasty side dish! This Instant Pot Turnip Greens Recipe makes it even easier to enjoy them without waiting for hours. Plus, veggies, bacon, and a few extras make these keto/low-carb friendly too!
Stop! Wash Your Greens!
The key to a delicious pot of greens is washing them! Greens are grown in the sand loose soil of the south. When they are harvested some of that sandy soil can stick to the greens. If you don't wash/rinse them well you could end up with sandy greens.
No one wants sandy greens, so stop and wash them....and then go wash them one more time.
How to Make Turnip Greens
This instant pot turnip greens recipe is a keeper. Traditional greens can take several hours in a pot to get them the perfect texture and flavor. The Instant Pot cuts way back on cooking time meaning you will be enjoying these Turnip Greens super fast.
Use the handy saute feature on your instant pot to brown your bacon. Once it is brown add in the chicken broth to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add in the rest of the ingredients and seal your instant pot.
Set your instant pot to 10 minutes. When it is done you can either quick release or allow it to release the steam naturally. Serve your greens with a couple of shakes of pepper sauce and they are DELICIOUS!
What To Serve with Greens
Turnip Greens or Collard Greens are a meal in themselves if you ask my husband. Most people enjoy them as a side dish but there is one thing that makes them so much better; a fresh pan of Cornbread.
Turnip Greens are Healthy
Turnip Greens are a vegetable related to broccoli and kale. That puts them right in the holy grail of vegetables! They are low in calories, but high in nutrients which makes them a great choice for pretty much anyone (Even you KETO-ers).
They are full of calcium, iron, magnesium and more. So if you are thinking about a healthy side dish! This is it!
Instant Pot Turnip Greens Recipe
- 32 oz fresh turnip greens trimmed
- ½ pound bacon cut into pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Set the electric pressure cooker to saute until hot. Add the bacon and cook until browned.
- Add the chicken broth to the electric pressure cooker and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom, scraping to remove any stuck on pieces.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pressure cooker. Cover and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook on manual or pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Quick release the steam or allow to naturally release.
- Serve with pepper sauce or as they are.